Mercury Free Dentistry
Our goal as your professional dental care team is to help you reach your oral health goals. We take this point a bit further by practicing in such a way as to protect the health of the body while providing necessary restorative care. Specifically, our practice does not include the use of mercury in any restorative procedure, nor do we keep this substance on the premises.
For many years, dentists have restored function to decayed teeth with amalgam fillings. Over the years, scientific research has provided us with information regarding the mercury contained in such restorations. Understanding that what occurs in the mouth effects the rest of the body, which is why dentists should not use amalgam fillings due to findings such as:
- The WHO (World Health Organization) states that mercury ingestion of no more than 1.6 micrograms/kg weight/week is safe. An amalgam filling, which weighs approximately 2grams, contains 50 per cent mercury. Adding up the numbers, we immediately see that a single filling contains 1 gram of mercury, equalling at least 1 million micrograms. And it has been shown very convincingly that the mercury is constantly being released from the amalgam under normal conditions. This release can be exacerbated by chewing, brushing , drinking hot liquids and having dental polishes. Once released as a vapour it is immediately inhaled into the lungs. ( smoking teeth video )
- Mercury, which has been banned from use in a number of products in several countries, has been classified as a neurotoxin. Amalgam fillings, however, are still seen as safe by certain dental associations. We disagree on the basis that neurotoxins are substances known to have a direct link to the health of nervous tissue in the body.
- As a neurotoxin, mercury is a poison. In fact, it is one of the strongest naturally-occurring poisonous substances. What this means to us is that there is no safe level of mercury, and this substance has no place in our holistic practice.
- Mercury exposure is linked to over one hundred syndromes and disease processes, such as Alzheimer’s disease. Mercury exposure may also cause chronic fatigue, tremors, heart disease, depression and lowers immunity which in turn increases susceptibility to infections.
- Mercury travels, seeping into organs through the nerves, blood, and lymph system.
- Most importantly it can cross the blood-brain barrier, which is how it can cause such damage to the whole nervous system.
- The level of mercury in a person’s brain is directly related to the number of mercury fillings he or she has.
We operate with the health and safety of our patients at the forefront of our thinking. Not only do we not use amalgam fillings, but Dr. Titania also adheres to the safety protocol set by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology when removing amalgam fillings. The steps followed include:
- The patient is given an alternative air source to breathe during the removal process.
- High speed enveloping suction or use of a rubber dam is used to quickly and efficiently remove mercury and safeguard the ingestion of any amalgam particles from the mouth.
- A source high vacuum is placed close to the mouth to remove any mercury vapour that is produced.
- Fillings are carved out in large pieces to minimise vapourisation of the mercury.
- Quick cutting drills are utilized to minimise possible time of mercury exposure.
- A high-powered air filter is placed in the room to clear the atmosphere of mercury vapour.
- The patient rinses with a special binding mouth rinse that attaches to and quickly washes away mercury from the mouth.
- We only remove 2 -3 fillings at one time.
Receiving dental care in a safe and effective manner promotes your overall health. In our experienced hands, you can enjoy a truly healthy smile.