Hong Kong Dentist, Dr. Titania Tong, offers five tips for keeping your children’s smiles sparkling
Oral hygiene is important for the whole family. Sparkling smiles, healthy gums, and strong teeth are all results of good oral care. Oral care is important for the whole family and it starts early.
Dr. Titania Tong, a respected family dentist in Hong Kong, offers the following tips to ensure that your whole family has the healthiest of mouths.
- Start early. Taking care of a baby’s mouth and gums is important, even before the first tooth erupts. Parents should gently wipe the gums with a soft cloth. After the first tooth comes in, you can introduce your baby to brushing, being sure to use water and a soft toothbrush, specially made for babies. Schedule your baby’s first dental checkup before his or her first birthday. This visit is important to educate you on proper care for your baby’s teeth and introduces your child to the idea of visiting a dentist.
- Stay consistent. As your child grows, be sure that teeth brushing is part of his or her morning and bedtime routine. Once the teeth begin to touch, introduce flossing to the routine. Also be sure to maintain bi-annual visits to the dentist’s office.
- Make brushing fun. Let children choose their toothbrushes and toothpaste. If they like using them, they are more likely to enjoy brushing teeth. Be a role model and let your children watch you brush your own teeth, sing silly songs, or laugh when you spit in the sink.
- Know your child. Is he or she brushing appropriately or just going through the motions? Until you’re sure that your child is getting those hard-to-reach back teeth and applying the appropriate amount of pressure, brush the teeth for him or her, or at least supervise while it is done.
- Be careful. When children begin to play sports, be sure they wear a mouth guard to protect their teeth. Provide nutritious foods and beverages and try to avoid those with a lot of sugar such as soda, candy and fruit juice. Also take care when eating hard foods – teach your child not to bite into candy or chew on ice.
Dr. Tong recognizes that a healthy mouth starts at home. That’s why she, and her entire team, takes time to discuss your oral hygiene habits and provide you with educational information. Call today to schedule a visit for you or your child.Back to Family Dentistry Page