Your smile can be one of your biggest assets. It can help you come across as friendly, helpful, happy, and smart. You want your smile to look great, but over time, teeth can become stained or discolored. Teeth whitening is one of the most common dental services we offer in our office and one that can help you make a big improvement without costing big bucks. Before beginning a professional teeth whitening program, it’s helpful to understand how teeth become stained.
Tooth enamel is porous and, therefore, the color can be affected over time. Some of the most common factors that cause discoloration include:
- The foods and beverages we consume. Think of it this way, if it would stain your clothing, it will probably stain your teeth. Consuming dark colored foods and beverages such as coffee, tea, wine, red sauce, and acidic fruits can all cause discoloration. If you are going to consume these drinks or foods, it is important to brush your teeth immediately after or at least rinse your mouth to help avoid the stains.
- The medications we take. There are certain medications that can cause permanent staining. This is especially true for certain antibiotics like tetracycline when taken by children whose teeth are still developing. Some of the most common medications to cause discoloration are antihistamines, blood pressure medications, and antipsychotics.
- Improper dental hygiene. Regular oral care such as brushing and flossing is important to rid the teeth of plaque. Neglecting these daily functions can leave teeth dull and stained.
- Getting older. Time can take its toll on tooth enamel. Over the years, the outer layer can become worn, which can leave the teeth with a yellow appearance.
- Your genetics. Some people are just predisposed to thinner enamel or teeth that appear discolored.
Dr. Tong and her team want to ensure that your smile shines bright. We offer both in-office and at-home professional whitening services to help your smile become a positive asset. To learn more about our teeth whitening programs and other cosmetic dentistry services that we provide to patients in Central HK, call us today.